Belonging, Inclusion, Diversity and Equality at Empower Multi Academy Trust
At Empower we are committed to belonging, inclusion, diversity and equality (BIDE) and aim to ensure that these are maintained and embedded within all aspects of our Trust.
We aspire to celebrate belonging and diversity, deliver equality and allow everyone to access our provision with fairness to all.
Our commitment to BIDE
At Empower we believe that everyone should be treated fairly and with compassion regardless of sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, religion and belief, or age.
As our Trust name indicates we are driven by the need to empower people from all backgrounds to achieve their potential, not allowing inequality and discrimination to flaw the process.
Over the next years, Empower is developing an action plan to strengthen our work around BIDE, both as a service provider and as an employer. We understand that there can be no quality without equality.
Our vision is that all those that belong to Empower get the opportunity and support to be the best version of themselves and inspire others to follow the same path.
Creating a BIDE strategy will enable us to invest in gaining a greater sense of belonging, greater equality, celebrate diversity and promote inclusion across Empower.
We want to ensure an entirely fair and inclusive culture at our workplace, by taking informed and decisive action to ensure we can provide equitable and effective support to our staff, our services and our clients.
Our BIDE Strategy will be published in January 2024 here.
To enable us to promote belonging, equality, invest in diversity and celebrate inclusion in our trust, we have established voluntary roles to support our colleagues on BIDE matters.
Our leads have been through training with an external consultancy, to ensure they have the tools and confidence to support their colleagues.
Key responsibilities of our trust are:
- Ensuring all colleagues feel that they are part of and have a vital role to play in Empower.
- Discuss issues affecting its members with key decision makers.
- Assist in formulating new and reviewing existing policies and procedures, where invited to do so.
- Assist Forward in meeting its statutory obligations regarding the public sector Equality Duty under the Equality Act 2010 to have due regard to the need to eliminate discrimination; advance equality of opportunity; and foster good relations between different people when carrying out their activities.
- Review, consult and make suggestions on Empower’s employee survey results that relate to equality, diversity and inclusion matters (when invited to do so).
- Review, consult and make suggestions on action plans relating to equality, diversity and inclusion matters (when invited to do so).
- Support Empower in developing a positive workplace environment that celebrates the contribution of all colleagues, and is free from bullying, discrimination and harassment by supporting the relevant action plans.
- Provide a voice for disabled employees and/or experience differences in terms of their mental health. We will encourage colleagues to understand the needs of disabled people within the community so that Empower’s vision, values and objectives are fulfilled. It is also to encourage all colleagues within Empower to celebrate diversity.
- Provide an empowered staff network within the Trust which is a safe space for staff of different racial and cultural differences. Where all members can voice concerns, champion achievements and share lived experiences with others within the organisation.
- Provide an employee-led group championing an inclusive and participatory culture. This will be an environment where members are connected by their passion for LGBT+
- Provide a voice for women (and those who identify as women) and encourage colleagues to understand the needs of women within our workforce and our service user community.
We are people who advocate for a culture of openly engaging employees – we talk and take action on all things allyship, culture and inclusion.
We want to provide a voice for BELONGING and encourage colleagues to understand every individual’s needs and culture within our workplace.
Equality Duty Statement
Require More Information?